Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge ( Chinese:芜湖长江大桥 ) is located on the Yangtze River in Wuhu City, Anhui Province, China, near the Jiujiang District. It is a road and railway bridge.
The construction of Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge started on March 22, 1997; the main span steel girder closure project was completed on May 2, 2000, and the bridge was fully connected; the bridge opened to traffic on September 30, 2000.
The total length of the bridge is 6.5 mi (10.5 km), the main channel is 7195 ft (2193 m) long, and the maximum span is 1024 ft (312 m). The upper road bridge deck is a two-way 4-lane urban arterial road with a design speed of 100 km/h, and the lower railway bridge is a 2-track rail with a design speed of 160 km/h. It cost 4.5 billion yuan (US $680 million ).
Before China’s reform and opening up
- In 1917, the famous Chinese statesman Sun Yat-sen put forward the original idea of constructing the Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge.
- In 1956, the Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge project began to carry out the bridge site and survey work.
- In 1959, Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge completed the preliminary design of the bridge.
- In 1961, the Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge ceased survey work, and retained the three bridge plans of Guangfuji, Sihushan and Huogang.
After China’s reform and opening up
- In October 1993, the Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge passed the appraisal of the work report, and it was determined to adopt the Guangfuji bridge location.
- On March 22, 1997, the Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge started construction.
- On May 2, 2000, the Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge completed the main span steel girder closure project, and the bridge was fully connected; on September 10, the Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge carried out acceptance work;
- On September 30, 2000, the Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge was opened to traffic, and the opening ceremony was held.
The railway bridge of Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge is 6.5 mi (10.5 km) in length, the highway bridge is 3.8 mi (6.1 km) in length, the main channel is 1.4 mi (2.2 km) in length, and the maximum span is 1024 ft (312 m). The bridge deck is 59 ft (18 m) wide.
- The main truss is 46 ft (14 m) high, 39 ft (12 m) wide, and the inter-node length is 12 meters;
- The maximum axial force of the chord is 5000 kN, and the maximum plate thickness is 50 mm.
- The bar is 1100 mm wide, the upper chord is 1460 mm high, and the lower chord is 166 mm high.
- The web is 700 to 1100 mm high, the maximum length is 15.1 meters, and the maximum lifting weight is 36 tons.
- The tower is 109 ft (33.2 m) high above the road surface.
- The diameter of the stay cable is 7 mm, with 2 wires per cable, a single cable has a constant load of 6950 kN, a live load of 1750 kN, a maximum cable force of 8700 kN, and a maximum weight of 14 tons.
Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge Data
- East Asia
- In use
- Official name
- Wuhu, Anhui, China
- Wuhu Municipal Transportation Bureau
- 4.5 billion yuan (US $680 million )
- Design life
- Mar-22, 1997
- Construction end
- May-02, 2000
- Sep-30, 2000
- Total Duration
- Total length
- 6.5 mi ( 10.5 km )
- 59 ft ( 18 m )
- Deck height
- 109 ft ( 33.2 m )
- Longest span
- 1024 ft ( 312 m )
- Design type
- cable-stayed bridge
- Design speed
- Highway: 100 km/h, railway: 160 km/h
- Road scale
- 4 lanes
- Yangtze river
View Wuhu Yangtze River Bridge on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.