Pingtan strait highway-railway bridge (Chinese:平潭海峡公铁大桥 ) is located in Fuzhou City, Fujian Province, China, the closest place from mainland China to Taiwan. It crosses the Haitan Strait and links Changle Town and Pingtan Town. It is the longest cross-sea road and railway bridge in the world.
The length of the bridge is 10.2 mi (16.3 km) and the sea-crossing section is 6.9 mi (11.2 km). The upper layer is a two-way six-lane highway with a design speed of 100 kilometers per hour, and the lower layer is a double-track railway with a design speed of 200 kilometers per hour. the total investment of the project is 14.7 billion yuan (US$2 billion).
The construction of the Pingtan Strait Highway and Railway Bridge started on November 13, 2013; on September 25, 2019, the bridge was fully completed; on October 1, 2020, the highway section was opened for trial operation.
- On March 7, 2012, the Pingtan strait highway-railway bridge passed the maritime navigation demonstration by the Ministry of Transport.
- On May 27, 2013, the preliminary design of the bridge was jointly approved by the China Railway Corporation and the People’s Government of Fujian Province.
- On November 13, 2013, the construction of the Pingtan Strait Railway Bridge began.
- On May 6, 2014, the first pile of the bridge was officially drilled on Renyu Island. It marked the official start of construction of the main bridge project.
- On August 24, 2017, the bridge piers were all completed, and the first set of bridge deck beams were successfully erected.
- On December 28, 2018, the final steel truss girder installation of the daxiaolian island Channel Bridge was completed.
- On June 5, 2019, Yuanhong Channel Bridge closed. It is the largest span channel bridge of Pingtan strait highway-railway bridge.
- On September 25, 2019, the installation of the last steel truss girder of the Guyumen Waterway Bridge was completed and the entire bridge was completed.
- On November 10, 2019, the entire bridge asphalt construction began.
- On December 22, 2019, the bridge began to be laid.
- On April 6, 2020, the Pingtan Strait Highway Bridge completed the last layer of asphalt paving and construction was completed.
- On October 1, 2020, the bridge highway interview opened to traffic.
- The railway section of the bridge will be opened to traffic at the end of December 2020.
Main structural parameters
The Pingtan strait highway-railway bridge has a total length of 10.2 mi (16.3 km) and a sea-cross section of 6.9 mi (11.2 km). The total length of the highway bridge is 9.7 mi (15.6 km) and the length of the railway bridge is 10.2 mi (16.3 km), of which the length of the highway-rail joint construction section is 8.9 mi (14.4 km).
Pingtan strait highway-railway bridge is composed of 6 bridges, non-navigable bridges, and approach bridges. Among the 6 bridges, there are 3 main bridges, all of which are steel-truss hybrid-girder cable-stayed bridges.
From north to south, the 3 main bridges are:
- Yuanhong Channel Bridge, with a total length of 3905 ft (1190.4 m). The tower is 727 ft (221.5 m) high. The navigable clearance height is 54 meters, satisfying the two-way navigation of 50,000-ton ships.
- The Guyumen Channel Bridge has a total length of 3052 ft (930.3 m). Tower height 592 ft (180.5 m)
. Satisfy single-hole two-way navigation for 5,000-ton ships.
- The Daxiaolian island Channel Bridge has a total length of 2553 ft (778.3 m). The tower is 569 ft (173.5 m) high. Meet the navigation requirements of 50,000-ton ships.
The other three bridges are between Dalian Island and Haitan Island. They are Dalian Island Bridge, Sherengong Bridge, and Haitan Strait North East Waterway Bridge.
Non-navigable bridges: concrete beams with spans of 48 meters and 40 meters. They connect the six bridges above at sea.
Approach bridge: Simply supported steel truss composite beams with spans of 80 meters and 88 meters. Mainly located on land.
The total investment of the Pingtan Strait Road-Rail Bridge is 14.7 billion yuan (US$2 billion). The engineering volume is huge. The total amount of concrete of the bridge is about 1,329,300 m³, the weight of steel reinforcement is about 154,300 tons, and the weight of steel truss is about 138,900 tons. A total of 300,000 tons of steel and 2.66 million tons of cement were used.
Pingtan strait highway-railway bridge Data
- East Asia
- Trial operation
- Official name
- Other name
- Pingtan Straits Rail-cum-Road Bridge
- Haitan Strait, Fuzhou City, Fujian Province, China
- China Railway Major Bridge Engineering Group Co., Ltd.( MBEC ), China Railway 13th Bureau
- 14.7 billion yuan (US$2 billion)
- Nov-13, 2013
- Construction end
- Apr-06, 2020
- Dec, 2020
- Total length
- 10.2 mi ( 16.3 km )
- Length over water
- 6.9 mi ( 11.2 km )
- Deck height
- 177 ft ( 54 m )
- Longest span
- 1745 ft ( 532 m )
- Design type
- Cable-stayed bridge, beam bridge, rigid frame bridge
- Design speed
- Highway: 100 km/h, railway: 200 km/h
- Road scale
- Highway: two-way 6 lanes; railway: 2-lane track
- Haitan Strait
View Pingtan strait highway-railway bridge on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.
View Pingtan strait highway-railway bridge on 720yun
720yun is a panoramic image service provider, where you can see the panoramic image of the Engineering Building, let you know more about the Engineering Building.