Sunshine Skyway Bridge is located in Florida in the southeastern part of the United States. It crosses Tampa Bay and connects southern St. Petersburg and northern Seia, Florida. It is a famous giant cable-stayed sea-crossing bridge.
The length of the bridge is 4.2 mi (6.7 km) and the section on the water is 4.1 mi (6.6 km) long. It began construction in June 1982 and was completed on April 20, 1987. It cost US $244 million.
This bridge is a replacement for the old bridge that collapsed in 1980.
- 1950: Construction of the old bridge begins.
- September 6, 1954: The opening ceremony of the bridge was held and the old North Bridge was opened.
- 1967: Construction of the south bridge of the old bridge opened.
- 1971: The South Bridge of the old bridge opened to traffic.
- May 9, 1980: Freighter Summit Venture collided with the bridge support. The span structure of the South Bridge collapsed, causing the vehicle to roll into Tampa Bay. 35 people were killed.
New Sunshine Skyway Bridge
- June 1982: Construction of the new Sunshine Skyway Bridge began.
- April 20, 1987: The new Sunshine Skyway Bridge opened.
- 1993: The north span and the damaged south span of the old bridge were demolished
Building technical parameters
The Sunshine Skyway Bridge is 4.2 mi (6.7 km) long, and the section above the water is 4.1 mi (6.6 km) long. It cost US $244 million.
The pylon of the cable-stayed bridge is 430 ft (131 m) high, the 4-lane bridge deck width is 95 ft (29 m), the longest span is 1201 ft (366 m), and the clearance height under the bridge is 180 ft (55 m) .
This bridge is part of Interstate 275 and US Highway 19. It was designed by Figg & Muller Engineering Group and built by American Bridge Company. It is a landmark building in Florida, USA.
Sunshine Skyway Bridge Data
- North America
- In use
- Official name
- Bob Graham Sunshine Skyway Bridge
- Other name
- The Skyway
- Between St. Petersburg and Terra Ceia, Florida, USA
- American Bridge Company
- Florida Department of Transportation
- US $244 million
- Jun, 1982
- Apr-20, 1987
- Total length
- 4.2 mi ( 6.7 km )
- Tall (tower)
- 430 ft ( 131 m )
- Length over water
- 4.1 mi ( 6.6 km )
- 95 ft ( 29 m )
- Deck height
- 180 ft ( 55 m )
- Longest span
- 1201 ft ( 366 m )
- Design type
- $1.50 for passenger cars or $1.07 with SunPass
- Road scale
- 4 lanes
- Tampa Bay
View Sunshine Skyway Bridge on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.