Chengdu Tianfu International Airport ( Chinese:成都天府国际机场 ) is located in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan Province, China. This ancient city has become the third city in China to have two international airports after Shanghai and Beijing.
Tianfu International Airport is 50 kilometers away from Chengdu city center. It is an aviation hub in western China and one of the super airports in the Silk Road Economic Belt.
Chengdu Tianfu International Airport will officially start operations on June 27, 2021.
Airport Construction began at May 7, 2016. By June 2021, there are already 2 terminals with a total construction area of 710,000 m². At present, it can meet the annual passenger throughput of 40 million passengers, cargo and mail throughput of 700,000 tons, and aircraft takeoff and landing of 320,000 sorties. The total investment in the airport has reached a staggering 71.8 billion yuan (US $11.24 billion ).
Its future planned area is 346 acres/1.4 million square meters. Two terminals and three runways will be added. Passenger traffic will reach 90 million passengers per year.
- May 2011: China’s Sichuan Province decided to start site selection for the new Chengdu Airport.
- June 20, 2013: The Civil Aviation Administration of China officially approved the establishment of Chengdu Jianyang as the site of the new Chengdu Airport.
- June 2015: The airport terminal plan was finalized. The shape of the two terminals was a pair of mythological sun birds; in September, the new airport was named Chengdu Tianfu International Airport.
- May 27, 2016: Construction of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport officially started.
- May 17, 2017: Construction of the T2 terminal building starts.
- September 29, 2017: Construction of the T1 terminal building started.
- December 26, 2017: The airport’s fuel supply project officially started.
- June 6, 2018: The air traffic control project of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport officially started; on September 17, the Sichuan Aviation Base of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport started; on December 18, the construction of the China International Aviation Base of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport started.
- On December 27, 2019, The main project of the terminal building of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport was officially completed.
- On June 16, 2020, the first runway west of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport was completed. On December 6, the school flight of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport was successful.
- On March 25, 2021, the test flight of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport was completed.
- June 27, 2021: Chengdu Tianfu International Airport plans to open to air services officially.
As of June 2021, the total area of the terminal building of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport is 719,600 square meters, with a total of 2 symmetrically designed terminal buildings. The shape of the terminal is derived from the sun bird in ancient Sichuan mythology.
The terminal building has a total of 83 bridge seats, which can meet the demand of 28 million domestic passenger throughput and 12 million international passenger throughput in 2025.
The airport has a total of 246 seats, 97 of which are near the bridge.
There are 3 runways with specifications of 4000 meters long, 60 meters wide, 3800 meters long, 45 meters wide, 3,200 meters long, and 45 meters wide.
- The T1 terminal of Tianfu International Airport has a construction area of 387,400 square meters and an area of 126,000 square meters. It is a comprehensive terminal for domestic, regional and international routes; the T1 terminal is 1283 meters long, 520 meters wide, and has the highest roof At 45 meters, it is the terminal with the largest number of super-large boarding bridges in China;
- The terminal building has 4 floors above ground, 4 upper mezzanine floors, and 1 underground floor (partially B2 is the APM MRT system project).
- The check-in hall for passengers arriving at T1 is located on the 4th floor with 6 (L11-L16) entrances. The 3rd floor is the waiting floor, the 2nd floor is the arrival floor, and the 1st floor is the baggage sorting floor.
- The T2 terminal building of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport has a construction area of 332,200 square meters and is a dedicated terminal for domestic airlines. The main body of this building has 5 floors above ground, partly with 4 upper mezzanine floors, and 1 floor underground (partially B2 is for APM MRT engineering).
- Chengdu Tianfu International Airport Air Traffic Control Tower 1 has 99.9 meters and is the tallest building in the Tianfu Airport area. Tower 1 is mainly responsible for controlling and commanding two parallel runways and the other cross runway.
- The ATC No. 2 tower has 14 floors, is 69 meters high, has a building area of 2573 square meters, and has a core tube structure. It is mainly responsible for the control and command of the vertical runway
Air Cargo Station
As of May 2021, the air cargo terminal of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport has an area of 122,000 square meters, which can meet the demand of 700,000 tons of cargo and mail in 2025.
As of May 2021, the five-star Tianfu Airport Yunxiang Hotel and the three-star Tianfu Airport Yuexiang Hotel have been built between the two terminals of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport, with a total of 877 rooms.
The terminal building of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport has a commercial area, an airport duty-free shop (more than 5,000 square meters), and a two-cabin lounge with a total area of 2,950 square meters.
The parking buildings T1 and T2 of Chengdu Tianfu International Airport are two-story underground and three-story buildings with a total area of 177,700 square meters.
Tianfu Airport can transfer to high-speed rail and subway inside the terminal without leaving the terminal.
Chengdu Metro Line 18 is a subway line that serves Chengdu and Tianfu International Airport, with a total length of 11.01 kilometers. It only takes 35 minutes to Chengdu South Railway Station.
Chengdu Metro Line 18 connects the main urban area of Chengdu with the new eastern part of Chengdu, and directly connects to Tianfu International Airport.
The other 2 subway lines, Line 13 and Line 19 are still under planning. There will be 3 subway lines connecting to Tianfu Airport in the future.
As the high-speed train of China’s name card, it is obviously indispensable in such an important transportation hub as Tianfu Airport.
There is a high-speed rail passenger station at Chengdu Tianfu International Airport, which allows you to conveniently enjoy high-speed rail services.
PRT smart car
Passengers take a PRT smart car carrying 4 to 6 people, and it takes only 7 and a half minutes to complete the journey between the parking lot and the terminal. This smart car is driverless, can be charged automatically, and has a dedicated track.
It is the first PRT system in China (the second in the world, and the first PRT in the UK).
Chengdu Tianfu International Airport Data
- East Asia
- In use
- Official name
- Lujia Town, Jianyang, Chengdu City, Sichuan Province, China
- China Southwest Architectural Design and Research Institute, China Airport Construction Corporation, French construction company ADP Ingenierie
- Sichuan Airport Group Co., Ltd. Chengdu Tianfu International Airport Branch Chengdu Tianfu International Airport Management Committee
- 71.8 billion yuan ( US $11.24 b )
- May-07, 2016
- Construction end
- Jun-06, 2020
- Jun-27, 2021
- Airfield area class
- Airport type
- Airport code
- Airport area
- 346 acres / 1400000 m²
- All buildings area
- 297 acres / 1200000 m²
- Terminal area
- 175 acres / 710000 m²
- Main terminal area
- 96 acres / 387400 m²
- Number of parking bays
- 246 (2021)
- Runway length
- 4000 m, 3800 m, 3200 m, 3 in total
View Chengdu Tianfu International Airport on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.