Beijing Daxing International Airport(Chinese:北京大兴国际机场) is located in Beijing, the capital of China.
It is 46 kilometers north of Tiananmen Square, 67 kilometers north of Beijing Capital International Airport, It is an Airfield area class 4F international airport.
Beijing Daxing International Airport started construction on December 26, 2014, and was named “Beijing Daxing International Airport” on September 14, 2018. It was officially opened on September 25, 2019.
The overall plan area of Beijing Daxing International Airport is 45 km² (11,120 acres), Phase I area is 29.4 square kilometers (7,265 acres), Total building size of approximately 1.4 million square meters, The terminal building area is 173 acres (700,000 m²). This became the largest single terminal airport building in the world (as of 2020).
After 4 years of construction, it cost 80 billion yuan (11.4 billion US dollars).If count the high-speed rail and subway which linking the airport and Beijing city, the cost will reach an astonishing 400 billion yuan (60 billion US dollars).
- In 1993, Beijing reserved the new airport site in the “Beijing City Master Plan 1994-2004”.
- On December 26, 2014, Beijing New Airport officially started construction.
- On September 26, 2015, the core area of the terminal building started construction, and the construction of the terminal area was fully launched.
- In February 2016, the basic project of the integrated transfer center was completed; on October 12, the municipal supporting project for the Beijing New Airport started.
- On January 23, 2017 and August 30, the main structure of the Beijing New Airport Integrated Transportation Center (parking building and integrated service building) project was fully capped; on December 7, the Beijing New Airport held a business resource investment promotion conference to attract global investment Officially launched;
- On April 10, 2018, the flight area greening project was officially launched; on May 25, the viaduct was opened to traffic; on May 30, the data room and command center office building of Beijing New Airport Information Center were completed; on June 30, passengers were reserved The MRT and baggage aisle smoothly docked with the terminal building; on September 12, the first underpass in the flight area was opened to traffic;
On September 14, 2018, the name of the new Beijing Airport was determined to be “Beijing Daxing International Airport”; on December 26, the runway of the airport was fully opened, marking the completion of all construction.
- On May 13, 2019, Beijing Daxing International Airport successfully tested its flight; on June 15, the first phase of the Beijing New Airport Line officially began trial operation.
- On September 25, 2019, Beijing Daxing International Airport was officially opened to traffic.
The terminal building of Beijing Daxing International Airport was designed by French ADP Ingenierie Architects and Zaha Hadid Studio.
The terminal building has become a new landmark in China. The design height of the terminal is 50 meters. It adopts natural lighting and ventilation design on the roof. It also implements time-sharing control of lighting and air conditioning, and uses green energy-saving technologies such as geothermal energy and green building materials and modern information technology.
The overall plan area of Beijing Daxing International Airport is 45 km² (11,120 acres), Phase I total area is 29.4 square kilometers (7,265 acres), Total building size of approximately 1.4 million square meters, The terminal building area is 700,000 square meters., with 268 seats;
There are 6 floors above and below ground in the terminal building, From bottom to top they are:
- Basement 2: Rail transit station group.
- Basement 1: A square-type transfer center where you can transfer to high-speed rail, subway, city rail, etc.
- 1st Floor: International arrival.
- 2nd Floor: Domestic arrival.
- 3rd Floor: Domestic self-help, fast customs clearance.
- 4th Floor: International departure and domestic checked baggage.
The terminal building of Beijing Daxing International Airport is the world’s first terminal to be worn under the high-speed rail, and the world’s first double-deck departure lane has effectively improved the efficiency of passengers entering and leaving the airport.
The terminal building of Beijing Daxing International Airport is like a phoenix with wings. It is a “starfish shape”. The shape is centered on passengers. The entire terminal has 79 gates. Passengers walk from the center of the terminal to any gate. The time required does not exceed 8 minutes;
The circular glass dome above the terminal has a diameter of 80 meters, and there are 8 huge C-shaped columns around it, which support the roof of the entire terminal. There are many bubble windows around the C-shaped column, which are mainly used for lighting. The building can resist 12-level typhoon.
In 2020, Beijing Daxing International Airport has four runways. The east, north and west runways are 60 meters wide and 3400 meters, 3800 meters and 3800 meters long respectively. The west second runway is 3800 meters long and 45 meters wide. The distance between the runway and Dongyi Road reached 2,350 meters, which left ample room for future expansion of the airport.
As of September 2019, there are four runways. The East One, North One and West One runways are 60 meters wide and 3400 meters long, 3800 meters and 3800 meters long respectively. The West Second Runway is 3800 meters long and 45 meters wide. It can meet the needs of passenger throughput of 72 million passengers, cargo and mail throughput of 2 million tons, and aircraft takeoff and landing volume of 620,000 sorties in 2025.
On May 28, 2019, Beijing Daxing International Airport Southern Air Base International Cargo Terminal Project was completed, which was the first completed cargo terminal construction project at the airport; as one of China Southern’s five functional areas at the new airport, the total construction area of the cargo terminal 25127 square meters.
In the parking building of Beijing Daxing International Airport, the German AGV automatic parking robot was introduced. Simply park the car at the entrance of the robot parking area, bind the mobile phone number through the interactive screen of the parking area, confirm the vehicle-related information, and the robot can complete the subsequent parking operations. When picking up the car, enter the license plate number and mobile phone number on the interactive screen of the car area, click the “car pick up” button, the robot can park the car at the exit position, the robot parking lot provides a total of nearly 150 robot parking spaces, and set up 4 robot parking stations , Robot parking spaces and parking stations can be adjusted and allocated according to actual flow.
Routes and passenger traffic
In the summer and autumn season of 2020, a total of 10 airlines in Beijing Daxing International Airport plan to open 328 routes here, with a total of 124 cities in operation. International routes will continue to be suspended.
In 2019, Beijing Daxing International Airport completed a passenger throughput of 3.135074 million passengers, ranking 53rd in China; cargo and mail throughput was 7362.3 tons, ranking 70th in China; 21,048 aircraft took off and landing, ranking 88th in China.
Affected by the new coronary pneumonia epidemic, from March 13, 2020, the international inbound flights of Beijing Daxing International Airport will be transferred to Beijing Capital International Airport for operation.
The construction of the Beijing Daxing International Airport project is rare in the world. Its terminal is the world’s largest earthquake-isolated building and the world’s largest single concrete slab.
Beijing Daxing International Airport has created more than 40 international and China’s first, 103 technology patents, 65 new engineering methods, China manufacturing rate reached 98%.
Thousands of construction units, with more than 50,000 people working at the same time during the peak construction period, maintained “zero accidents in production safety” throughout the process, and fully achieved the goal of a clean project.
For the first time in China, the airport runway adopts the “omnidirectional” layout, and uses the world’s leading navigation technology in many aspects such as aircraft ground guidance and low visibility conditions operation, ensuring operational efficiency and quality.
For the first time in the global hub airport, the airport has achieved 100% new energy for on-site general vehicles, making it the airport with the highest renewable energy utilization rate in China.
Beijing Daxing International Airport Data
- English name
- Beijing Daxing International Airport
- East Asia
- In use
- Official name
- Daxing District, Beijing, China
- Capital Airport Group Corporation (CAH) Beijing Daxing International Airport Management Center
- 80 billion yuan (US$11.4 billion)
- Dec-26, 2014
- Construction end
- Dec-26, 2018
- Sep-25, 2019
- Total Duration
- Airfield area class
- Airport type
- Civil Transport Airport
- Airport code
- Planing area
- 11120 acres / 45 km²
- Airport area
- 6672 acres / 27 km²
- All buildings area
- 346 acres / 1400000 m²
- Main terminal area
- 173 acres / 700000 m²
- Commercial area
- 12 acres / 50000 m²
- Stores number
- Number of parking bays
- 268 (2019)
- Runway length
- 3*3800 m, 1*3400 m, total 4 (2019)
- Number of routes
- 328 (2020)
- Navigable city
- 124 (2020)
- Passenger traffic
- 3.13 million(2019)
- Freight volume
- 7362.3 tons (2019)
- Takeoffs and landings
- 21,048 sorties (2019)
View Beijing Daxing International Airport on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.
View Beijing Daxing International Airport on 720yun
720yun is a panoramic image service provider, where you can see the panoramic image of the Engineering Building, let you know more about the Engineering Building.