Sutong Yangtze River Bridge (Chinese:苏通长江大桥) is located on the Yangtze River between Nantong City and Suzhou City in the east of Jiangsu Province, China. It was built earlier than Hutong Yangtze River Bridge.
Construction of the Sutong Bridge started in June 2003. The main bridge was closed in June 2007 and opened to traffic on June 30, 2008.
The total length of the bridge is 20.1 mi (32.4 km), of which the length across the river is 5.1 mi (8.2 km), and the bridge body (tower) is 1,004 ft (306 m) tall. The bridge deck is a two-way 6-lane highway with a design speed of 100 km/h.
It total cost about 6.45 billion yuan (US $1 billion ).
- Sutong Yangtze River Bridge was first planned in 1991.
- In February and June 2003, construction of the bridge began.
- In July 2004, the entire water part of the bridge was under construction.
- In August 2005, the foundation project of the main bridge of the bridge successfully passed the handover and acceptance.
- In September 2006, the north and south main pylons of the bridge were successfully capped.
- In May 2007, the middle span of the main bridge was closed.
- On June 30, 2008, Sutong Yangtze River Bridge was officially opened to traffic.
The Sutong Yangtze River Highway Bridge is composed of three parts: the north bank connection project, the cross-river bridge project and the south bank connection project.
- Cross-river bridge project: The cross-river bridge is a steel box girder cable-stayed bridge with double towers and double cables. The dedicated channel bridge is a T-shaped rigid frame beam bridge; the north-south approach bridge adopts a prestressed concrete continuous beam bridge.
- The North Shore Connection Project has two interchanges, one for the main line toll station and one service area.
- There is an interchange in the South Bank Connection Project.
The total length of the bridge is 20.1 mi (32.4 km), of which the length across the river is 5.1 mi (8.2 km). The main bridge adopts (100+100+300+1088+300+100+100) m span layout. The total length of the North Shore Connection Project is 15.1 km, and the total length of the South Shore Connection Project is 9.1 km.
The bridge body (tower) is 1,004 ft (306 m) tall. The bridge deck is a two-way 6-lane highway with a design speed of 100 km/h.
The main bridge has a navigable height of 203 ft (62 m) and a width of 891 m, which can meet the navigation needs of a 50,000-ton container ship and a 48,000-ton fleet.
The total project investment is about 6.45 billion yuan (US $1 billion).
Sutong Yangtze River Bridge Data
- East Asia
- In use
- Official name
- Other name(s)
- Sutong Bridge
- Between Nantong City and Suzhou City, Jiangsu Province, China
- Jiangsu Sutong Bridge Co., Ltd.
- 6.45 billion yuan (US $1 billion )
- Jun, 2003
- Construction end
- Jun, 2007
- Jun-30, 2008
- Total Duration
- Total length
- 20.1 mi ( 32.4 km )
- 1004 ft (306 m )
- Length over water
- 5.1 mi ( 8.2 km )
- Bridge section length
- 20.1 mi ( 32.4 km )
- 135 ft ( 41 m )
- Deck height
- 203 ft ( 62 m )
- Longest span
- 3570 ft ( 1088 m )
- Design type
- Cable-stayed bridge
- 30 yuan (USD$ 4.5)
- Design speed
- 100 km / h
- Road scale
- 6 lanes
View Sutong Yangtze River Bridge on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.