Nansha Bridge ( Chinese:南沙大桥 ) is located in Guangdong Province, China. It connects Nansha District of Guangzhou City and Shatian Town of Dongguan City. It is a cross-sea bridge located on the Pearl River Shiziyang. The original name of Nansha Bridge was Humen Second Bridge. It is another super bridge in the Pearl River Delta of China after the Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge.
The Nansha Bridge started construction on December 28, 2013; it was completed and opened to traffic on April 2, 2019.
The length of the bridge is 8 mi (12.9 km), the deck is a two-way 8-lane highway, and the design speed is 100 km/h. The bridge cost 11.2 billion yuan (US $1.6 billion).
- In 2003, the Guangdong Provincial Department of Communications started the feasibility study of the Nansha Bridge. The line needed to be bridged across the Lion sea of the Pearl River.
- In 2009, the Guangdong Provincial Department of Communications designated the project name as “Humen Second Bridge”; in the same year, the Humen Second Bridge project launched a design tender.
- In June 2013, the National Development and Reform Commission of China approved the application for the Second Humen Bridge; in September, the Ministry of Transport of China approved the preliminary design plan for the Second Humen Bridge.
- On December 28, 2013, the Humen Second Bridge Project held a groundbreaking meeting in Dongyong Town, Nansha District, Guangzhou, and the construction of the Humen Second Bridge began.
- On April 30, 2014, the contract signing ceremony for the main bridge project of Humen Second Bridge was held in Guangzhou, and the bridge entered the construction stage.
- On July 22, 2015, the construction of the east tower cap of the Dasha Waterway Bridge of Humen Second Bridge was completed, and the bridge was transferred to the tower construction stage.
- On October 9, 2016, the main bridge, tower, and anchor foundation works of Humen Second Bridge were completed, and the construction phase of the main tower and anchorage was fully entered.
- On June 16, 2017, Humen Second Bridge was fully transferred to the suspension bridge cable construction stage.
- On January 9, 2018, the Humen Second Bridge Dasha Waterway Bridge completed the closure project; on May 25, the Humen Second Bridge Nizhou Waterway Bridge completed the closure project; November 20, the last segment of the Humen Second Bridge was erected , The main section of the bridge is fully penetrated.
- On April 2, 2019, the Second Humen Bridge was officially opened for operation, and the bridge was finally renamed “Nansha Bridge”.
The Nansha Bridge is 8 mi (12.9 km) long and 133 ft (40.5 m) wide. It consists of 7 approach bridges, 3 interchanges and 2 super long-span navigable suspension bridges over one kilometer.
Nansha Bridge has 3 overpasses, the overpass on the west bank of the Pearl River and the overpass on the east bank of the Pearl River. Seagull Island in the middle of the bridge also has an overpass, which is located between the Dasha Waterway Bridge and the Nizhou Waterway Bridge.
The 2 navigable suspension bridges are the Nizhou Waterway Bridge and the Dasha Waterway Bridge.
- Nizhou Waterway Bridge main span is 5538 ft (1688 m) long and the tower is 853 ft (260 m) high. It has two main cables with a total weight of about 30,120 tons; each main cable is composed of 252 normal long cables and 6 back cables, and each cable strand contains 127 high-strength galvanized steel wires with a diameter of 5 mm and a standard strength of 1960 MPa ; The bridge’s anchorage ground connecting wall has an outer diameter of 90 meters and a wall thickness of 1.5 meters.
- Dasha Waterway Bridge has a single span of 3937 ft (1200 m) and a tower height of 634 ft (193.1 m). It also has two main cables, each of which is about 7126 ft (2171.9 m) long and weighs about 7875.4 tons; each of the main cables has 169 through-length strands, and each strand contains 127 zinc-aluminum strands with a diameter of 5.2 mm. Alloy-coated steel wire, with a standard strength of 1770 MPa; the bridge’s anchorage ground connecting wall has an outer diameter of 82 meters and a wall thickness of 1.5 meters.
The approach bridge spans 30 meters to 62.5 meters, and the piers are 10 meters to 65 meters high.
Nansha Bridge Data
- East Asia
- In use
- Official name
- Other name
- 虎门二桥, Humen Second Bridge
- Between Dongguan and Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
- China communications construction Ltd. Guangdong Provincial ChangDa Highway Engineering Co. Ltd.
- 11.2 billion yuan (US $1.6 billion )
- Design life
- Dec-28, 2013
- Construction end
- Nov-20, 2018
- Apr-02, 2019
- Total length
- 8 mi ( 12.9 km )
- 853 ft ( 260 m )
- 133 ft ( 40.5 m )
- Deck height
- 197 ft ( 60 m )
- Longest span
- 5538 ft ( 1688 m )
- Design type
- Suspension bridge
- Design speed
- 100 km / h
- Road scale
- 8 lanes
- Pearl River Lion sea
View Nansha Bridge on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.